Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Magical Mystery Tour

No, it’s not actually a tour. But in little over an hour, I’ll be leaving for Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport for my between-jobs vacation. Wanting some luxury, but wanting to keep the budget in reason, I opted for a package from Dutch operator Corendon for nine days for just less than EUR 800.

Here’s the deal. I know I am flying to Antalya Airport on Turkey’s Mediterrenean Coast. I specified a “Five-Star” hotel (though Turkish 5 star may or may not mean the same as French, Bermudan or Maldivian 5-star). I specified all-inclusive, meaning that I will have non-stop access to food, ‘local’ drink, and entertainment (and as I like lamb and raki, the local firewater, this is hard to screw up). But I have no idea where I’m staying, or with whom.

Sure, I will have my own room, having suspended dating activity pending my Belgian move. But I have know idea whether I will end up in a hotel in a town or on an isolated cove, or whether my fellow guests will be Nederlanders, Germans, Israelis, or Russians, all groups known to favor the Turkish Med (Brits prefer the Turkish Aegean, and Americans are rare in Euro package-tourism land).

Still, the mystery makes the topic ever so bloggable. So, over the next nine days, expect frequent dispatches from the beach…from where I will also fill you in on the LBS MBA98 Reunion

No comments: